Applications & Liquid sorbitol uses
- In sugar free candy manufacture, sorbitol finds it application as a sugar free reduced-calorie sweetener. It improves the candy’s softness and chewy texture.
- In sugar free ice cream, it is usually used to provide sweetness, impart body and texture.
- In Diabetic fruit jam and peanut butter, sorbitol is used as a humectant to reduce dryness and improve spreadability.
- Textile and Leather Application: Sorbitol is usually used as a dispensing agent, humectant/bodying agent, and sequestering agent. It is used as a color stabilizer in textile printing, as a humectant in textile sizing, and as a softener in finishing.
- Emulsion Products:Sorbitol retards the loss of water by evaporation from oil in oil/water emulsions.
- Tobacco Industry:Sorbitol is used to contribute to the flavour of chewing tobacco and used as humectant and conditioner
- Adhesives Applications:The characteristics of sorbitol that it neither loses nor absorbs any appreciable quantity of water increases the viscosity of the glues composition, and its non-volatility are an advantage in adhesive applications.
- Pharmaceuticals Industry:As a good humectant and plasticizer sorbitol is usually used in emulsion ointments and in gelatine capsules. It is also finds uses in pharmaceutical syrups where it’s stability, non-cariogenicity and viscosity are an advantage. Sorbitol is also used medically in culture mediums to distinguish between various strains of bacteria such as E coli.
- Others IndustriesSorbitol is used to make polyurethane foams with specific strength and absorbency which finds uses in, for instance, vehicle dashboards. It is also used as a chelator in metal working and is used in processes to anodize aluminum